Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Winds, moss and Glasgow emergency responders...

the real action
Rode a short ferry over to Arran island, just off of the coast from Glasgow. I was all packed and set to ride around the island, camp and jump on other ferries to take me across loch and inlets. I had a drink at the beautiful Douglas hotel with all its seafaring brass antiques and then started up the big hill. The camping was alright, but the wind that was forecast, certainly arrived that morning, waking me up from my heather and foot thick, moss bed. I was shocked awake into the 50 mph gusts as I tried to put on more under layers over my naked torso.
Amazing, there were folks walking their dogs in the area I emerged from, (silly Scots). It was a highspeed downhill ride to the awaiting luxury hotel and hot drinks. So a little embarrassingly I took the ferry back, I am just not that much into self abuse.
The photo of the rainbow over the Scottish castle absolves me and allows me to head back to warmth and comforts.

Hanging out here in Glasgow drinking a beer in the sunshine on the wall. When police came running up and past me to look searchingly in the water. A jogger and a cyclist had words with them. I jumped down to talk with one, he mentioned that there had been a report of someone in the water. (I didn't hear any splash) They took off up the canal. I followed. Firetrucks showed up on the bridge. A Helicopter circled overhead- within minutes of things happening. A little later a rescue boat with red, dry suited and helmeted rescuers puttered by. I spoke to the baby-faced cop and he seemed to think it must have been a seal up the canal.
I am somewhat amused/impressed at their quick response, but wonder if these sort of coordinated operations might be better used for positive things, like: there is an amazing sunset and its still sunny- quick! to the batmobile! Or, people are pretty bummed out about transit and public space; quick! tasty drinks and groovy music with places for everyone to relax. But these sorts of things, generally, only happen at Burning Man.   
Or better yet, more social care/ homeless outreach, empowered individuals, working with the 'down and out' so things don't get to the point of someone taking a cold death dip, off the bridge...


No comments: