Friday, August 2, 2013

Disney sub plot

A long winding road up the Rhine. Sometimes with a headwind. Lots of other cyclists. (funny to see 80+ year olds on motorcycles). I noticed a few things that are different during my ride. I rode through Riverside, industrial, boat building/repair factories. Right through them, with only a caution sign at the entrance. It amazing that the cycling legislation has pushed access this far!
I am also impressed that cycling is permitted in the other direction on one way streets. (I remember being stopped in Seattle by an irate cop, when my choice was, illegal ride on the sidewalk, or illegal ride on the one way street...).

I thought to stop earlier for the evening, not such a good idea, since that dusky hour riverside, is the hour of the bug. I am reminded of what a small part we play on their planet; barely a blip. Those seething masses will adapt and outgrow us. Really there is nothing to do at that hour, but keep speed, and outrun them until the stimulation of the evening has passed and has them settled.
I thought to spend the night off the Rhine bike path behind some hay stacks, and prepared my bed of straw unrolling them over the stinging nettle. I thought myself clever with this design, until I received 2 wasp stings, one for each bare leg; and noticed them swarming out of the ground from their underground nest. Disappointing but worse yet, because I was unable to get near my bike with the wasps defending the area...

I grabbed my bike out of there without more stings, and kept looking for some place as suitable. In just a few minutes, I startled a deer out of the brush, then 2 rabbits, and also 2 foxes. A minute later an eagle swooped down around me. I forget sometimes how busy dusk can be...

My ride still consisted of outrunning the horse flies, gnats and mosquitoes. Later I camped beside the Rhine. I believe someone this morning checked me out in my sleeping bag, although, I couldnt see them, I heard the sound of their flip flops... Later the geese consisted of my alarm clock. Funny, I dont find that one on the iphone alarm selection.

Today the bolt from my rack was sheared off. While I was in the shade of the Nestle factory, smelling the ambient chocolate, wiring it together, a mole walked up to me, and may well be riding in some part of my baggage. I feel I may be an unknowing part of some Disney subplot...

No comments: